- Phone: (714) 871-4115
- Mailing Address: 114 North Pomona Avenue, Fullerton, CA 92832
Our First Hundred Years
Fullerton First United Methodist Church had its beginning in November, 1888, when Presbyterians and Methodists met as a Union Sunday School in a building owned by Presbyterians. At that time, no religious services of any kind were being held in Fullerton. With the arrival of Rev. Francis R Holcomb from Iowa, a separate Methodist Society was soon formed and preaching services began.
In 1893, the Presbyterians sold the church building and the Methodists constructed a fine church on West Amerige (at a cost of $2,000) on land offered for half price by the Fullerton Land Company. The Union Sunday School was replaced by a Methodist Sunday School, and an Epworth League was established.
In 1909, the church building on West Amerige was sold and the proceeds invested in property on the southwest corner of Amerige and Pomona where a beautiful new Gothic style brick building was erected. This sufficed for 20 years until increased membership dictated yet another move. In 1921, property across the street, on Pomona between Commonwealth and Amerige, was purchased. A large wooden building was constructed to house the young people's department and a social hall. Five years later, a financial campaign resulted in funds for the new (and present day) church which was dedicated in April, 1929. In 1948, memorial windows were added in back of the choir loft, one panel honoring those who had sacrificed their lives in World War II.
The church continued is growth and influence in the community and by 1955, with 1500 members, further expansion could not be delayed. Plans were made for a new education unit to adjoin the existing structure as well as for remodeling the women's parlors, the kitchen and the social hall. Adjacent property to the church was purchased and two cottages on it were used for Sunday School classes as were facilities in the Seventh Day Adventist Church (they had purchased the "red brick building"). The two cottages were eventually razed to make room for a parking lot. The house on Commonwealth, next to the sanctuary, was used first for the church sponsored Scout troop and later as the minister's office during remodeling. When it was eventually dismantled, the space was utilized for the present nursery school playground.
The much needed education plant was completed in 1963. A near catastrophe was averted just 15 months later when a fire broke out while services were in progress. Fortunately, the children were evacuated safely before the congregation was aware of the problem. In 1968 a weekday Nursery School was established.
Today, FFUMC is still a vibrant and thriving congregation. It is a true multi-generational and multi-cultural representation of what the church should be. From young to old, there are programs that are alive and welcoming to all who want to come and take part.